2/14/09

A Change in Perspective

(Originally posted 11/4/2008)

I took a walk today down a trail that I've walked and run hundreds of times. It's a beautiful, 3/4 of a mile path around the lake at church that winds through trees and bushes and disguises the reality that I'm in the middle of one of the country's largest metropolitan areas.

I've been on that trail so often that I know what's coming. I remember what's around each corner. I know what to expect. But as I walked around the first bend today, I began to see it differently than I ever had before.

I don't know if it's because I walked slower or because the leaves were falling or because the light in the atmosphere was a different hue than usual. But whatever it was, something suddenly became clear.

path1

All of a sudden I wasn't just seeing a gravel path. What I was seeing was a picture of life.

This wasn't some weird, mystical experience that gave me a new take on the direction or meaning of my life. But it was a moment in which God revealed, or rather reminded me of something.

Life is all about perspective.



See, a lot of the time, I know what to expect in life. After doing the same things day in and day out, everything becomes routine. The danger in that, though, is that the routine can become monotonous. And when that happens, life loses it's excitement.

But that's the exact opposite of what I've been striving for over the past 2 years. See, I want to make every day life an adventure. And the first step is getting back to seeing things differently, from God's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment