2/21/09

Ghetto Phones

We have two landline phones in our house. One in the kitchen; one in our bedroom. And they used to both work. Emphasis on 'used to'. Now, the one in the kitchen can't dial out. If someone calls in; if the connection already exists, that's a different story. The other one (the phone in the bedroom) dials out, but you can't hear anything. Oh you can talk to the other person; but you can't hear them talking to you.

So if you actually want to make a phone call and talk to the person on the other end, you have to dial with the bedroom phone and then run to the kitchen phone. See? Ghetto phones.

It got me thinking. So often, that's a picture of my relationship with God. There are two kinds of "phone calls" I will have with him. And sadly, rather than using a fully functioning phone, I'll use one of my two ghetto phones.

When life is going great, I'll use the kitchen phone. It's like I don't even need to dial. The connection is already there. I simply pick it up and start having a conversation. And man, it would be so easy if all of life was this way. Just have God on stand by waiting to telling us clearly what we need to hear.

But it doesn't always work that way. There are times when I have to call him up. It's part of having relationship. It's true with God, just like it's true with people. I can't always expect someone to call me. As they say, the phone works two ways (if it's not ghetto).

With God, I'll come to a point where I know I need to call him. So I'll walk to the bedroom, pick up the phone and dial. But then, I'll just start talking. And I get so busy talking and telling him what I think he needs to hear that I can't hear what he is saying back to me.

But then I remember something like the passage my pastor preached on just a few weeks ago. 1 Kings 19:10-12. Go read it. Basically, this is a fully functioning phone. Elijah had just gone off, telling God all of his "problems." And then, God spoke back. And Elijah must have had to take a breath or something, because he actually heard what God said.

You see, if I'm going to make it through life, I can't rely on a ghetto phone. I do that too often. Yes, there are times that I can unleash all my frustration and emotion on God. But there comes a point where I have to shut up and listen. Because so often God will be in that still small voice, telling me about his plan, his love, his forgiveness. And only by having a fully functioning phone, a fully functioning relationship with him, will I be able to actually hear him.

1 comment:

  1. This is really true. I do so often run to God when I'm upset and just pour it all out. But sometimes I forget to listen.

    ReplyDelete