2/14/09

A Reminder in the Valley

(Originally posted 2/12/2009)

Yesterday was a great day! We all celebrated the life of our friend Jimmy York. And for those of us who heard it, Todd's eulogy for Jimmy was absolutely perfect. I don't know exactly how hard that was for him, but I know it was the hardest thing he's had to do. But God used him during that message, and it spoke volumes about Jimmy. I am so proud of the job Todd did in remembering his friend. What an honor to hear it!

Yesterday was also a very crappy day. Because for many, it marked the beginning of a life without a friend who meant so much to each of us. That beginning actually occured Saturday night. But yesterday, it became real for a lot of people.

Yes, Jimmy is home in heaven. Yes, we can have joy in knowing that he is on that mountaintop. But now, there is going to be a valley for us. For some, that valley is going to be easily traversed. For others, that valley is going to be deep and dark.

For Tricia, Braxton, Auston, Jimmy's parents and family; for Todd and Trena, Jeff and Ginger, Steve and Kim, Wayne and Jill, Mark and Libba, Carissa and me, Ray and Jazen; for Josh, Dan, Justin, Tianne, Sara, Kara, Mark, Deana, Carlotta, Terry and the entire Fellowship family; and for countless, countless others - the valley is going to be rough.

But I want to encourage all of you to continue looking up, even in the midst of the shadows; especailly in the midst of those shadows. That's not something that I think you need to be told. But a reminder can't hurt. Because each of us will greive in our own way, in our own time. Maybe you've gotten to the point of beginning that process for yourself. But as you face each day in this new life, trust that God will lead you. Because, as the Scriptures say:

He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me... (Psalm 23:3-4).

1 comment:

  1. A little 23rd Psalm is always a dose of good medicine...thanks bro!

    ReplyDelete