2/28/09

Some Things are Worth the Fight

Last night I planned on surprising Carissa with a date. I had arranged for babysitters, thought about what to do, changed plans at the last second and bought tickets to the symphony. I thought it would be a great way to end the week - relaxing, new, fun.

Carissa knew we had a date. She just didn't know what we were doing. All I told her was to dress up a bit. The babysitters would be here at 6, which would leave plenty of time to get something to eat and then find our seats before down beat (not sure that's what they call it in the symphony, but anyway...)

6:15 p.m. The phone rings. The babysitters were in a car wreck. My first thought, "Oh no! Are they ok?" Answer: yes. Whew.

Now my second thought, "Crap! How in the world are we going to find someone to watch the kids? We have to leave NOW if we're going to be on time!" (By the way, my pet peave is being late.)

So we start the frantic cell phone calls. Each call led to more and more stress on my part. Out of town. Sick kid. Not home. Voice mail. AHHH!

Then, the saviors. I love you, Nick and Alecia. They were willing (and able) to watch the boys. The only problem is, now it's 6:30 and they live 25 minutes away. But we thought, let's try it anyway. So we hop in the truck and head out.

Now, at some point in the drive, I'm literally thinking, "This isn't worth it. Besides, there's no way we'll make it!" (Oh, and at this point Carissa still doesn't know what we're doing.)

Yet, we still drive. And the longer we drive, the more stressed I'm getting. But I'm doing my very best to just shut my mouth, because I don't want to make this evening any worse than it is apparently becoming. Then I think, "Maybe I can call Will Call and have the tickets transferred to tomorrow night." No dice. No refunds. No transfers. Grrrr!

Then I tell Carissa what we're doing. But I also say, "It's not worth it. We aren't going to make it anyway," to which she responds, in the perfect pitch, tone and tenor that only my bride can have, "Andy, let's try anyway. Because I really want to do this."

It completely changed my perspective on the whole situation. And now, as I look back at last night and hear her in my mind again, I think, "Maybe some things are worth the fight." Because to make a long story...well, too late. But we made it. And by the time we actually found our seats, we had only missed part of the first number. Sure we were a little late. But we had a great time. Relaxing, enjoyable, new.

Whatever you are facing, remember something. You may just have to gain the right perspective. Step back from the emotion of the ordeal. And see that in the end, while you may miss a little bit of the first number, overall, some things are worth the fight.

2 comments:

  1. Andy...this is a great reminder and very well written. (You should think about being a writer -- wink)
    Also...the picture on your blog here makes me SO homesick. I'm from Washington State and all my family lives there. Awesome pic!

    Jill Hoenig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, time with you is always worth the fight. WE are ALWAYS worth the fight.

    ReplyDelete