2/14/09

Where I Need to Be

(Originally posted 12/2/2008)

I worry. It's just something I do. I worry about my family. I worry about my friends. I worry about my job. I worry about money. But I don't think I'm the only one. And today, when "they" "officially" announced that the country is in a recession, worry once again came knocking at the door.

What if I lose my job?
What if we have to sell our house?
What if I can't provide for my family?
What if...
What if...
What if...
(I hate those kind of what ifs.)

But then I picked up the Bible - the best place to turn in any situation, especially when I worry. And the first thing I read was Psalm 135:15-21. I've been reading the Psalms lately, mostly because I find comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one who feels what I feel. I need to know that. And God knows I need to know it.

He knows when I worry. He knows why I worry. And he knows exactly what I need to hear when I do. And so he reminded me this morning of something. The energy I use when I worry is wasted energy. It does little...no. That's not right. It does no good.

What I need to do is refocus that energy on praising God. Because only he can help me overcome my fear. Worry leads only to more worry. Praising God, however, leads to trust. Which leads to hope. Which leads me away from worry and back home, to him. Which is exactly where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment