5/6/09

Out of the Slump

2 months. It's been exactly 2 months since I wrote anything here. I got to a point, in my mind, where everything cyber was taking up too much time, too much energy. So I went all self-righteious and stopped most of it. I quit Twitter and stopped blogging. (I apologize for the high and mighty attitude that accompanied my decision.)

See, I'd fallen into a kind of slump as far as writing and I thought going cyber-silent would do the trick to get me out of it. Maybe others couldn't see it. But I could. And I could certainly feel it.

If you're a writer (or just like writing), then you know what I'm talking about. There are seasons when I just plain don't feel like writing. But I realized something over the past few weeks.

The other day my pastor said to me, "Andy, you've been writing a lot lately." My response, "Yes sir. It's what God has called me to do." As those words came out of my mouth, it hit me.

I love writing. Sometimes it's good. Other times, eh. But I love to do it. It's what God has gifted me to do. So to stop using that gift in any way is to thumb my nose at what God wants me to do.

I don't want to do that. Ever. In any way. So I'm going to continue using this blog as an avenue to practice the thing God gifted me to do. I hope you continue to read it. But if not, that's okay too. Because honestly, this is for God. And I'm glad he's bringing me out of the slump.

1 comment: