9/29/09

God in a Box

God fits in a box. Let me rephrase that.

I try to make God fit in a box.

I hate to admit it, but sometimes I try to crease, fold and then shove God into a metaphorical 6-sided contraption (there are 6 sides to a box, right?)

Don't get me wrong. I know I can’t possibly do that. After all, God is omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent. But no matter how omni-whatever I know he is, I still try my hardest to put him into something I can manipulate, handle and understand.

For the most part, when I go to God, I have my little mental checklist of things to cover with him. But this morning, as I was going thorough my list of "things to talk with God about," I realized exactly what I was doing. I was trying to fit God into a neat little package.

I guess another way to say it is that I was limiting, in my own mind at least, who God is, what he can see, how much he loves and what he can do in my life.

I know I'm not actually limiting him. But the reality is that so often I don’t open myself up enough to see that there's so much more to God than what I can understand.

I think too often I get in a routine with God. And when you get routine with the supernatural, it can become something you try to tame. But God is untamable. He’s, well, un-boxable.

So I’m thankful that, even though I try, God will never fit into the box I try to put him in. And I’m even more thankful that he’ll forgive me for even trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment