5/23/09

I'm Not a Fan of Jesus

I was asked on Facebook the other day if I wanted to be a fan of Jesus. Now, normally, when stuff like that pops up, I just click 'ignore' and go on. I've been invited to stop global warming, abolish abortion, honor our fallen veterans, end hunger, protect marriage and even save the great British pub. As if by clicking a button on a mouse I will somehow help any of this.

No thanks. Move on. I want to make a real difference in a real life somehow, someway. (Or at least I want to check all my friends' updates without interruption!)

But when this one came up, 'Become a fan of Jesus,' I hesitated. For a split second I thought, "If I ignore this, am I ignoring Jesus? Conversely, if I click 'yes' then everyone who sees me on Facebook will know I'm a fan of Jesus. And isn't that the point anyway?"

Then I remembered something. Jesus doesn't need me to be a fan. He doesn't want me to be a fan. Fans change their loyalties. They stick with a team or a celebrity when things are good. But when things go south, they find something else to cheer for.

Another word for fan is supporter. Jesus doesn't need support. He's the Almighty! What he wants is devoted followers who are willing to walk behind him no matter what.

What I came to realize (or rather remember) is that my faith isn't based on something someone else says or suggests. It's based on Christ, not a group of his 'fans.' Not clicking that button doesn't lessen my faith or negate the reality that Christ lives in and through me each day.

So no, Facebook, I do not wish to become a fan of Jesus. Instead, I'll do my best to be a follower of Christ, obey his word and live out his love in my life. And hopefully, I'll make a real difference by being an example of what a relationship with Jesus can do.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's in-your-face. Well, it's in MY face. It's like not forwarding those emails that say, "If you support our troops, forward this to ten people. Delete it if you don't." That's just not fair to say. I too will not be joining the "Fan of Jesus" mob. I'll stand by you in broadcasting that message through my actions. I'm so glad that I get to be married to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thought Andy! I love that- and feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete